Friday, August 28, 2009

Festive Friday

Friday! It’s the most festive day of the week at our house. Work is DONE for the week and HOORAY! Saturday and Sunday are just ahead. Friday evening is our doorway to relaxation. I like to make it a mini-celebration if I can because I know my husband is tired and ready to put his cares behind him by the time he gets home.

When we had a houseful of young children, Friday was the night I had a fun meal for them. I would fix their dinner early so that by the time Dad got home they were contented and on their way to bed.

We called this “snacky supper” and it was a small smorgasbord of things they liked from popcorn to pancakes. I put out bowls of carrot sticks, apple slices, cheese sticks, raisins and something with a little protein like peanut butter crackers or pizza. Sometimes we had a pancake supper with a variety of toppings. They snacked away while we chatted or watched a video, then I gave them something for dessert and off they went to bed.

It isn’t hard to make a special evening for my husband on Friday nights. When he arrives home from work he is looking forward to some peace and quiet, a good meal and my companionship. He really doesn’t care if the house is perfect, but he also doesn’t want to hear any bad news from the home front. He looks forward to one evening of the week where things are light and relaxed. Any topic that causes concern or anxiety for either of us will keep until some other day of the week. Fridays are for fun.

Here is how I set the stage for a Festive Friday:

1. I tidy up the path from the front door to the bedroom and bathroom and back to the kitchen. At the very least, I get rid of the clutter. Vacuuming and dusting is a bonus. I also turn on lights so that people who are coming home don’t feel like they are entering a cave.

2. I get something going in the kitchen that will create an appealing aroma in the air. This could be a nice candle or some cinnamon sticks on the stove, or it might be dinner cooking. Along with aroma I may create a visible welcome with a plate of grapes and cheese that is ready for nibbling. The idea is to generate anticipation for the good things that are to come.

3. I plan a SIMPLE meal for Friday evenings. This is not the evening I want to make a five part recipe that uses all of my pots and pans.
* I get a steak to broil with some salt and pepper on top.
* I cook salmon fillets or bake seasoned chicken breasts.
* I use store-bought sauces or seasonings to dress things up and I steam a colorful collection of fresh vegetables to put on the plate.
* If I want something starchy, I roast some small red potatoes coated with olive oil and sprinkled with minced garlic at high heat in the oven.
* I open a bag of good salad and add some good fresh bread and butter or olive oil for dipping and I have a beautiful meal.
* If we want dessert, I put out some strawberries, a bar of dark chocolate and shortbread cookies.
* Sometimes I cheat all the way and buy dinner at a deli or supermarket. That works just as well.

4. Nothing beats candle-power for a festive evening. A candle at the dinner table makes even soup and crackers seem special. Sometimes I take dinner to the coffee table and we sit on cushions and eat by candlelight there. Candles in safe containers in various other places around the room also add to the calm and special mood of the evening.

5. Before my husband gets home I try take stock of whatever is irritating or upsetting me and make a plan to address it at another time. I dwell upon the joy of having such a good man in my life and I give thanks that he loves me and comes home to me on Friday nights. I get ready to greet him with enthusiasm.

I also remember that he will need at least fifteen minutes to transition at home before the festivities begin. I don’t expect him to comment upon how nice everything is. In fact, if it all goes so smoothly that he hardly notices my efforts, I pat myself on the back for doing a good job. This little weekly celebration is a gift for him and his appreciation in return is a bonus for me, not the reason I do what I do.

I am so blessed to have a home of my own. I am blessed to have a kitchen to cook in, a living room to sit in and a bedroom to sleep in. I love the fact that I have someone special to share my life with. It really doesn’t take very much thought to find a reason to celebrate every Friday night, and it really doesn’t take much effort either. Happy Festive Friday! I hope yours is wonderful.

3 comments:

Bern Thompson said...

Is it Friday yet? (I guess not, it's just the first day of the week.) Oh well, Friday's coming!!!

Cheryl Thompson said...

Lol! Friday's a-comin'. Thanks for this past Saturday and Sunday, too!

Kristin said...

I think you should write a book, or at least an article, titled "Grandma T. and the Art of Homemaking"!